Where to start?
1. Identify if you have any of the symptoms of endometriosis (see our instagram post) and visit your doctor for further investigations. Laproscopy is the only reliable method for endo diagnosis. It is a surgical procedure where a sample of tissue is collected from the inside of the abdomen.
2. Visit a Naturopath to receive individualised support as not every endo case is the same because everyone is unique and different. You can explore our Naturopathy consultation offerings HERE.
11 of the Main Treatment Goals
1. Manage symptoms
2. Balance the immune system & decrease inflammation
3. Support the microbiome & gut
4. Consider antibacterial cleanse (case dependent)
5. Access if there is hormonal imbalance (especially estrogen dominance)
6. Decrease endometrial growth
7. Remove exacerbating factors (diet & lifestyle)
8. Supportive diet & lifestyle advice
9. Ongoing stress and emotional support
10. Tailored therapeutics
11. Additional supportive modalities - acupuncture, kinesiology, psychology, counselling.
- Remove inflammatory foods - sugar, alcohol, trans fats (vegetable oils, processed foods, fried foods), excess red meat. For some this can also include dairy and gluten.
- Avoid eggs - in some individuals.
- Reduce caffeine intake.
- Increase fibre content to support the removal of waste and excess estrogen from the body - variety of vegetables and fruits, complex carbohydrates (wholegrain, nuts/ seeds, legumes, lentils).
- Include essential fatty acids to decrease inflammation and support healthy hormone production - in the form of oily fish, avocados, nuts and seeds, extra virgin olive oil, ghee, organic butter.
- Include herbs/ spices and specific anti- inflammatory foods - ginger, turmeric, rosemary, cinnamon, black pepper, clove.
- Switch to organic sanitary products or period undies to decrease localised inflammation and to avoid pesticide exposure.
- Find forms of movement that bring you joy and implement a variety of practices into your week. Moving the body decreases inflammation and supports healthy detoxification. It also supports mental wellbeing.
- Implement stress management practices that work for you - meditation, yoga, walking, breathing, sound therapy, colour therapy...
- Consider additional support for your emotional wellbeing.
Endometriosis is a complex condition and everyone is unique in their presentation. Time and knowledge heals - the more you know and the more you view your health in a holistic way, the better you will be able to support yourself.
We are always here to support you on your way....
Love Hunna & Kat