Skin our interface with the outside world.
Our skin produces its own natural oil called sebum, which regulates hydration levels within the outward layers of the skin by trapping and binding moisture.
When our skin becomes imbalanced from diet, lifestyle, physiological or psychological influences our oil production fluctuates. We can become drier (due to a lack of sebum), or oilier (due to an excess of sebum). With these changes our skin can become prone to sensitivity, congestion, and breakouts.
Certain plant oils can provide relief to troubled skin by balancing sebum production (especially important in acne prone skin), supporting hydration, reducing inflammation, as well as providing nutrients to replenish and protect the skin.
Below we take you through some of our favourite plant oils for supporting optimal skin balance.
Sea buckthorn oil
- Contains unsaturated fatty acids, such as palmitoleic acid (omega-7) and gamma-linolenic acid (omega-6) that give it skin regenerating and repairing properties.
- Contains linolic acid that strengthens the lipid barrier of the epidermis in dry skin and protects against water loss. Linolic acid is also a natural component of sebum and can be used to balance sebum production in acne prone skin.
- Contains phospholipids, glycolipids and sterols that moisturise and soften the outer layer of the skin, reduce moisture loss, improve elasticity, increase firmness, reduce inflammation, and promote skin regeneration and cell renewal.
- Rich in antioxidant and supporting vitamins A, C & E that fight off free radicals and delay skin cell aging.
- The wax ester of Jojoba oil shares a similar molecular structure to the natural oils found on our skin (sebum). This means it can help balance your natural oil production and is less likely to clog your pores and lead to congestion.
- Contains strong anti-inflammatory properties to support sensitive and reactive skin.
- Naturally contains antibacterial properties that deter microbes from your skin.
- Contains a nutritious blend of vitamin E, B and antioxidants which easily penetrate into the skin layers providing hydration, replenishment, and protection from free radical damage.
- Replenishes the skins moisture barrier and provide emollient hydration to reduce moisture loss and promote soft, smooth, radiant skin.
- Repairs the skins barrier function to reduce skin sensitivity and protect it from environmental damage and pollutants.
- Balances the skin by modulating natural sebum production.
As facial oils provide emollient hydration (working with the skin to trap moisture) we recommend using them as your last step in your skincare routine. Alternatively, you can also blend them into you preferred moisturiser (serum, lotion or cream) depending on your individual skin needs.
Shop Solace - our nourishing and balancing skin oil.